Tuesday, July 8, 2008

WTF??? Appointment

I am doing ok. My moments of weakness comes and goes. DH was sweet and brought me flowers last night.
I met with my RE today. I purposely set up this appt incase of the bfn. I didn't want to wait to talk with him, especially if I needed/wanted to get another IVF in this summer before school starts. He is such a kind man. I can tell he is really geniunely sorry for the failed cycle. We had tons of questions and I broke down crying once. It was a hard appt. The jist of it was he thinks maybe going back to IUI could give us a better shot. The thinking is that it worked when I got pregnant with Kyle and maybe my body would do better this way. The issue to worry about is getting approved with the insurance since going from IVF to IUI is taking a step back and they may not approve. We originally decided to go straight to IVF to help reduce the chance of multiples. Ha. I can't even get on fricken' good egg to fertilize and implant. We are leaning towards doing IVF one more time and hoping for a better response. Then maybe try for IUI. I get 4 IVFs with my insurance and I would like to save one.
We also spoke extensively about donor eggs. My eggs suck. It is a fact. My chances with donor eggs is 60-70% success. With my own, it is way less than 50%. The issue with donor eggs, other than it not being my biological child, is my insurance would cover the medical costs (hence saving the 4th IVF), but the agency and compensation cost to the donor is not covered. We would have to pay out of pocket $12,000 without a guarantee. We don't know any donors that we could use. I don't have a sister or cousin.
It is so much to process. At least with a donor, there is no time limit.
This just really sucks. It makes me SO SAD to think I may never be able to give my son a sibling. I may never be able to experience the wonderful joys of pregnancy again. I am angry with the world right now.

1 comment:

Lanie said...

I am so sorry that you are in this position. Not only does IF suck, but the cost associated is completely RIDICULOUS!!!

If it helps, you are very lucky to have the option of insurance covering things, so you must feel like you have some options.

We had only $5K of coverage for IF. We were given a 5% chance of my own eggs working and a 70% chance with donor eggs. Since we mostly pay OOP, it was kind of a no-brainer (but not necessarily a "no-heart-er").

Good luck and best wishes to you on this journey! I'll try to follow along. : )